Statement by Children’s Defense Fund–Texas on Health Care Repeal Vote
AUSTIN, TX – Today the U.S. House of Representatives passed the American Health Care Act (AHCA) despite deep concerns about the bill.
If approved by the Senate and President Trump, the legislation will:
- Lead to 24 million more uninsured Americans;
- Increase the cost of insurance for millions of Americans, particularly those over age 50, in rural areas, and/or on a tight budget;
- Cut Medicaid funding and protections for Texas children, pregnant women, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Allows states to strip protections for pre-existing conditions; and
- Allow states to strip requirements for insurance companies to cover essential benefits such as maternity care, prescription drugs, and mental health care.